Updated: Mar 11, 2021
It's hard to beat this creamy Chicken Marsala when you're in the mood for an Italian-infused dish! We think it's safe to say you'll enjoy the juicy chicken cutlets covered in creamy marsala sauce. Yum! Time: 35 minutes Yield: 4 servings
• 1 1/4 cups dry marsala wine
• 1 1/4 cups unsalted chicken broth
• 2 (10-11 oz) boneless skinless chicken breasts, butterflied and halved, pounded to an even thickness
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons olive oil
• 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
• 3 garlic cloves, minced (1 tablespoon)
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh thyme (or scant 1/2 teaspoon dried)
• 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano (or scant 1/2 teaspoon dried)
• 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch whisked with 1 tablespoon chicken broth (in a small bowl until well combined)
• 1/3 cup heavy cream
• 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
Step 1: Add marsala wine and chicken broth to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let gently boil until reduced to 1 cup, about 15 minutes.
Step 2: Meanwhile season both sides of the chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge each side in flour.
Step 3: Melt 1 tablespoon butter with 1 tablespoon olive oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken pieces and let sear until cooked through (165 degrees F in the center), turning once halfway through (10-12 minutes).
Step 4: Transfer chicken to a plate. Tent with foil.
Step 5: Reduce burner temperature to medium heat. Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil, add mushrooms.
Step 6: Sauté mushrooms, just tossing occasionally (and increasing burner temp slightly as needed to encourage browning), until mushrooms have shrunk and are golden brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic during the last 1 minute of sautéing.
Step 7: Remove pan from heat then pour in marsala reduction, thyme, and oregano.
Step 8: Return to heat, bring to a simmer, while scraping up browned bits from the bottom, then stir in cornstarch chicken broth mixture. Stir until thickened.
Step 9: Off heat stir in heavy cream, season sauce with salt and pepper to taste. Return chicken breasts to the pan, spoon sauce over top.
Step 10: Sprinkle with parsley and serve immediately.